Disk Management is a very easy task but most of the people don't pay enough attention to organize their data on the computer which leads to mess. As a consequence of mismanagement speed of computer is declined and the performance of computer is degraded by an effective margin. It is seen that people store several copy of same data on different drive due to which their hard drive partition brimmed with garbage. So it is always advised to organize the content present on hard drive as it enhances the performance and speed of computer. You can use different computer maintenance tools made available by the some of the well renowned companies. For beginners and children disk management task is a very difficult task and sometime their silly mistakes can lead to serious damage. In this article I will let you know about the procedure by which you can manage your hard drive. I have collected information from many websites and forums for you so that you eschew silly mistakes.
You have to make the following changes to create a partition on your computer:
- Click on the Start button and make a right click on the My computer option available in the Start menu.
- From the context menu you have to select Manage, this action will open a Disk Management on your computer screen.
- You can also use alternative method for opening Disk Management. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type "dskmgmt.msc" without quotes and press Enter Key form the keyboard, this action will open a Computer Management on your computer screen.
- In the left pane of Computer Management window select Disk Management. In the bottom of window make a right click on the unallocated space and select New simple volume option from the context menu.
- This action will open a "New Simple Volume Wizard" and then click on the Next button.
- Now enter the size of partition to be created in MBs and assign the letter which you want to assign to new partition. Then click on the Next button.
If you want to shrink a existing disk then follow the steps mentioned below as:
- In the Disk management window make a right click on the specific drive of which you want to reduce the drive size.
- Select Shrink Volume form the context menu then Shrink Volume Wizard will appear on your screen which will contain information regarding the total allocated size & available shrink size.
- In the text box enter the amount of space you want to shrink in MBs within the specified limit and then press Shrink button.
If you want to extend the size of existing partition then follow the steps mentioned below as:
- In the Disk management window make a right click on the specific drive of which you want to extend the drive size.
- Select the Extend size Volume form the context menu then Extend Volume Wizard will appear on your screen which will contain information regarding the total allocated size & available size to extend.
- In the text box enter the amount of space you want to extend in MBs within the specified limit as the selected dive is not dynamic or the volume being extended is a boot or system volume.
- Then make a click on the Next button and click on the "Finish" button to complete the wizard.
If you want to format the existing partition then follow the steps mentioned below as:
- In the Disk management window make a right click on the specific drive which you want to format.
- Select Format from the context menu, select file system whether "NTFS" or "FAT32" according to you choice.
- Fill the Checkbox present in the bottom half of the window to enable Quick format and to apply Encryption & Decryption feature.
- Click on the Next button and Select Finish to complete the wizard.
So by following the above mentioned steps you can easily manage your computer and can do computer repair by your self. But some of the issues like registry management are very fragile and few wrong deeds can shut your computer, so in my opinion you should leave them for professionals. You can also tools like registry cleaner, windows maintenance tools for enhancing the speed and performance of computer.