1. Remove programs from startupWhen programs are installed, a shortcut is created in the startup. This enables services from the program to be launched once a computer is booted. With time, the computer has many services set to be running on startup. This consumes the primary memory of the computer and exhausts the processor as unused programs are also in operation. The following steps are used to remove unwanted programs from the startup and ensure the computer achieves required speeds in booting and its operations.
- Open the task manager.
- Click on Startup tab. A list of the programs running at startup is displayed.
- Right click on a program and select disable. On the status column, it should now show disabled.
2. Manage computer spaceUnwanted files accumulate over time and take up disk space in computers. Once the primary partition holding the operating system is congested, the computers speeds go down tremendously. Removing unwanted files from the recycle bin, caches and cookies formed by browsers and other temporary files can all be done an application incorporated in windows through following the following steps;
- Open disk cleanup.
- Select drive to work on then select ok.
- Select file types to be deleted then ok.
- A message appears. Select delete files.
3. Hard disk defragmentationData saved in computers is stored in forms of files. These files are kept as data blocks in the computer’s hard disk. The continuous addition and deletion of files leaves huge gaps in between the data blocks created. The computer then gets hard time accessing data in the hard disk. Files that should be concurrent for easy access but are separate are said to be fragmented. To keep data in an organized format, the hard disks need to be regularly defragmented. The following steps are taken in implementing this.
- Open Computer. The hard disks present are displayed.
- Right click on any drive and select properties.
- Click on Tools tab.
- Select Optimize. A list of all active drives is shown.
- Select required drive and click on optimize.
4. Computer graphicsComputers with low RAM require their graphics to be allocated minimum space so that other important features can be worked on. The following steps are used in effecting this.
- Click on start and type performance information and tools. It will appear under settings.
- Click it and select adjust visual effects.
- You can then select what you require by clicking on the checkboxes. For critical situations, adjusting for best performance is recommended.
5. Uninstall unused programsThere are many programs that users install by visiting internet sites and making downloads. These programs are installed and consume space in the computer. Computer users are advised to keep only the programs they use and remove unused programs. In order to uninstall a program, a user has to;
- Click on control panel.
- Ensure the view is set to category view and click on uninstall a program.
- Go through installed programs and click uninstall on those unused programs to remove them completely.
6. Cleaning up of the computerComputers are easily affected by unwanted programs that include Viruses, Worms and Trojans. Getting the right antivirus solution is the best solution. Windows 8 however comes preinstalled with windows defender which can be updated regularly to prevent from attacks from malware programs.
With the above solutions, a computers performance is bound to be at its best. Upgrading of computer components such as the RAM, processor and hard disk can also be considered.
Author Bio:The Author is a professional writer with grown interests in computer interaction to help novices make the best of their computers. He writes for Essay Jedi.